Which Social Media site should I be on to speak with my customers?
And the answer is… It depends!
I have been online since the mid 1980’s WELL before social media sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter existed and one thing has stayed the same over all those years; You need to be where your customers are and speak to them in a way that is native to the location they are in.
I built my first BBS (totally dating myself right now) in 1986 shortly after my awesome parents (aka Santa at the time) gave me an Apple //e for christmas with a lightning fast 300 baud modem. My BBS was in the role playing niche as I was a super fan of A Bard’s Tale; you know… fighting dragons, saving princesses… normal stuff when you are 12… For an hour a night I was allowed to have the phone line and my site was live to the world. Only a handful of people knew about it and logged in but that first foray into online life and marketing set me on a path that I am still on 31 years later!
For anyone that has attended one of my live training sessions you know that I am pretty vocal about where I think your attention should be online. I am also extremely opinionated (in a loving caring way of course) about the best way to be and act as a business online.
So my advice to you would be to follow these super simple 5 steps:
- Identify who your amazing awesome avatar is (an avatar is your perfect client)
- Once you have identified who they are you will have a VERY good idea of where they are online. Pay attention to what they do there and what the like and follow.
- Immerse yourself in what and who they are and they will lead you to more like minded people (as in… more perfect avatars)
- Give away your best stuff – Golden nuggets, ideas, thoughts… anything that will help your avatar win and set you up as the expert you are in their eyes
- Be patient. It is a marathon, not a race. Nurture relationships just like you would offline. Treat every connection you make as your new BFF and watch your business grow with the RIGHT customers.
So back to the question of which social media site you should spend your time on. You need to be on the one that your customer is on! I have heard many business owners say that don’t care for a certain platform but if your clients are there then you need to be too!
Want to know more about learning more about your avatar? Shoot me a message and we can chat!